FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Lisa Bates, CMP, CDP May 26, 2021 Chief Marketing Officer
757-565-6505 [email protected]
Williamsburg House of Mercy receives outstanding service to seniors award
WILLIAMSBURG, VA- Williamsburg Landing is proud to announce that the Williamsburg House of Mercy has been selected as the 2021 recipient of the Outstanding Service to Seniors Award. The annual award is chosen during Older Americans Month in May and is presented in partnership with the Williamsburg Community Foundation. The Williamsburg Landing Fund was established with the Community Foundation to honor those who have exhibited outstanding service in the field of senior services in Williamsburg.
Williamsburg House of Mercy serves seniors regularly through their eviction prevention, utilities support, homeless services and food security programs. Their senior-serving programs and resources include:
• Designated training and programs for case managers to assist seniors in getting permanent, supportive housing instead of aging in motels
• Providing free incontinence supplies directly to seniors and local community partners who serve seniors
• Working with local agencies to get USDA fresh food to seniors
• Providing seasonal care packages to nursing home residents
• Registering and coordinating transportation (if necessary) for underserved seniors to receive their COVID vaccine
• Advocating and implementing initiatives to provide lasting stability for seniors and older adults before they are able to receive social security, thereby preventing future homelessness of seniors
“We are in awe of the work that Williamsburg House of Mercy does for seniors in our area and could not be more excited to present this award to them,” stated Greg Storer, CEO of Williamsburg Landing.
Williamsburg House of Mercy’s accomplishments, impact on the community and dedication to older Americans led to their nomination and selection for this award.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic began, the Williamsburg House of Mercy has:
• Distributed more than 1,300,000 pounds of food to 50,000 individuals on its drive-thru food pantry line
• Prepared and served more than 20,000 meals in our Community Kitchen
“Williamsburg House of Mercy sees the needs of older adults and seniors on a daily basis,” says Shannon Woloszynowski, Executive Director, Williamsburg House of Mercy. “We work creatively to make sure that healthy and dignifying solutions are within reach. As an organization who serves all ages, we know it is especially important for the community to know that seniors deserve food security, housing and other services so that they can age with dignity. Thank you for recognizing and contributing to our work with this award!”
The Williamsburg Landing Fund at the Williamsburg Community Foundation will provide the Williamsburg House of Mercy with a check for $1,000.
Williamsburg Landing is the first and only accredited Life Plan Community in the region. The independent, non-profit organization provides a gracious, socially enriched environment and full continuum of care including: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support, Short & Long-Term Nursing and Adult Day Services to accommodate seniors needs through every stage of life.