The beautiful thing about our COVID efforts is that we are experiencing the power of our community to make a difference.
Families and individuals are slowing down to see those who need help. They see that families are hungry and bring groceries from their home.
They see our shelves getting empty, and they host a food drive.
They hear about our need for volunteers, and they bravely come forward, masked and gloved, ready to serve.
The people and businesses of Williamsburg are not waiting for the supply to resume. They are filling the gap and meeting the need out of their own provisions.
Over the past 49 days, we have cried with now unemployed parents as they share their story and gratefulness. We have given umbrellas and hats to families who brave the elements to walk to the food pantry. We pause and chat with elderly diners before they pray over their carryout meals and head home.
When a family comes forward for help or a homeless individual is ready to be housed, we can honestly say, “Yes. We can help you because your community cares.”
What Williamsburg House of Mercy is doing?
- More than 10,000 individuals have received food from the drive-thru food pantry.
- Each day, 350 meals are distributed from our Community Kitchen and local businesses.
- More than 28,000 diapers and feminine hygiene items were give out from the drive-thru food pantry.
- Each week, 2-3 individuals are finding new stability and safety in being housed.
- Food drives in your neighborhoods, at your churches, from your favorite businesses… and from your own pantry.
- Hundreds of donations and grants from individuals, businesses, and community organizations.
- Thousands of hours of volunteering from members of our community.
What can you do?
- Bring canned goods, diapers, feminine hygiene items, and toiletries to us Monday-Friday 10am-4pm (or to Saint Bede Catholic Church on the weekends and evenings).
- Donate online at our website (WilliamsburgHouseOfMercy.org), in person, or via mail (10 Harrison Avenue).
- Host a neighborhood food drive.
- Volunteer https://signup.com/go/FOGizQr
Check out our COVID Response page for more information and videos