The past few weeks have been an incredible demonstration of the compassion and care of our community for our neighbors in need. As things get busy with Thanksgiving and Christmas distributions, we would like to update you on some of our recent milestones
- This month, we surpassed serving 1 million pounds of food since COVID began!
- We completed and opened our Maureen “Pinkie” Ford Mercy Housing Suite, the outdoor homeless shelter space, and the walk-in cold storage. View a video of the new space here!
- We received two major community awards. Coastal Virginia Magazine recognized us as a Top 10 Giving Back Awards Recipient and Impact 100 awarded us a $50,000 grant toward our renovations!
- To meet increased need, we hired an additional Outreach Case Manager to do expanded and intentional outreach to the unsheltered homeless in our community, and further build the New Journey Reentry program for those reintegrating post-incarceration.
- We introduced our Bridge to Home emergency shelter program to provide a safety net shelter to those in danger of sleeping on the streets this winter as we see area thermal shelters forced to close for most of their season due to the pandemic.
- We collaborated and partnered with area social services to provide after-hours support and case management to those entering the newly developed shelter program and have committed funds and case management to rapid rehousing.
- Needs continue to grow. We have seen an unprecedented increase in rent and utilities assistance requests as evictions courts reopen. Food distribution numbers have climbed back up–just today we saw 227 families!
We are incredibly grateful for the neighborhoods, businesses, organizations, and individuals who are giving so generously. This allows us to continue our drive-thru food pantry, diaper and feminine hygiene distributions, and Community Kitchen meals– while preparing our Thanksgiving Turkey distribution and Christmas Market! Our community is amazing!